What format should decimal numbers be in?
Decimal numbers in your answers should separate the whole number and the fractional portion with a "." sign. So one and a half should be written as "1.5".
Can I create new challenges for Valhalla?
Yes, and it's encouraged. If you have an idea, just create it and submit it to an admin via IRC
. If you have an idea for a new challenge category that is encouraged as well. You will receive credit in the form of a Hall of Fame entry for any challenges that are accepted.
You can submit content by creating an account, logging in, and going to the submit content
page. From there you can also submit bugs you find on the site and suggestions you have for improving Valhalla.
What are the guidelines for submitting content?
For news, try to make your articles as unbiased as possible and avoid use of the first person point-of-view. Avoid copy/pasting articles word-for-word. Try to put it into your own words, and cite your sources.
For articles and code, make sure your content is original. Don't steal other people's work, and if you reference someone else's work give credit where it is due.
What are the size limits on content?
Here are the max lengths of input fields on Valhalla:
Usernames: 50 characters (ascii)
Titles: 100 characters (utf8)
Descriptions: 250 characters (utf8)
Bodies: 65535 characters (i.e. the max size of a TEXT in mysql) (utf8)
Comments: 500 characters (utf8)
Message Board Posts: 250 characters (utf8)
Debugging Challenge Submissions: 500 characters (utf8)
What do I need to know about the Full Disclosure section?
Vulnerabilities posted in the full disclosure are there to make public known vulnerabilities so that they must be patched by the site/application developer. The idea is to help eliminate 'security through obscurity'.
Valhalla is not liable for any attempt to hack software using vulnerabilities posted here, and Valhalla does not condone this type of activity.
Forum & Private Messages
What are the forum and PM rules?
- No flaming (e.g. insulting, bullying, or other hostile action).
- No posting profane material such as nudity, gore, etc.
- No linking to hacked sites.
- No asking how to hack sites.
- Be friendly and courteous to others even when they don't deserve it.
- Stay on topic. Off-topic posts will be deleted.
- Check if your question has already been answered before creating a new thread.
- Don't give out challenge answers or post spoilers.
- Avoid bombarding other members with questions about challenges.
What do I need to know about PMs?
The outbox size limit is 15 messages. If you send a new message when you have 15 already, the oldest one will be removed from your outbox. The inbox is unlimited.
While the Valhalla staff do not read your messages, our developers are able to see them in the database, so it's recommended that you don't post any personal information.
Valhalla is a place for sharing knowledge and ideas. Valhalla allows users to submit code, as well as science, technology, and engineering-oriented news and articles, and we also affiliate with other IT-related sites. We provide a biography and tags for each affiliate so users can easily find the content they are interested in. Valhalla also has an assortment of fun challenges intended to help users learn more about programming concepts, computer science, engineering, mathematics, and more.
What are Valhalla's rules?
- We are not liable for any malicious actions taken by members of our community, and any actions taken under the name Valhalla are not official or sanctioned by Valhalla.
- Any code on Valhalla which can be used for malicious purposes is not legal to use for anything but testing on your own personal server. Any code or tools you use from this site you use at your own discretion and Valhalla is not responsible for any damage that may result from improper use or malicious code. If any member uses code from Valhalla maliciously, Valhalla will cooperate fully with the authorities to resolve the matter quickly.
Code of Conduct:
- As a user you must not submit any plagiarized, copyrighted, or illegal material to this site.
- Users are expected to be kind and respectful towards each other and the members of neighboring communities.
- Administrators reserve the right to deny access to any user who we feel does not respect these rules.
How do I contact an administrator?
If you have found a bug in the site or have a suggestion for improvement, you can use the submit
function. Otherwise, if you need to contact an admin, the easiest way is to join the IRC channel. Information about IRC can be found here
. Even if it says that no one is active, an admin is nearly always present and you can leave a message in PM with him or her. If you prefer to use email you can contact an administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Valhalla's stance on pen-testing?
We at Valhalla like to support those who wish to help us improve our site in any way, and so pen-testing is encouraged as long as it does not interfere with the normal activities of members or put unnecessary strain on the server. We ask that you report all findings to an administrator as soon as possible, and your contribution will be rewarded with recognition (in the form of a Hall of Fame post) and possibly a free t-shirt if we feel you have done us a service worthy of special thanks.
How long do I stay logged in?
Sessions timeout after one hour.
When not logged in, the "Online Guests" count will count your IP when you are active within 20 minutes.
What kinds of things does the Updates page show?
The updates page gives three different filters: 'Show Only Content Updates', which shows when a new affiliate or code/article/news story is put on Valhalla; 'Show Only Site Updates', which shows updates created by admins about site functionality; and 'Show All Updates' which shows all the previously mentioned things as well as new user registrations and comments on codes/news/articles.
How can I affiliate my site with Valhalla?
Contact an administrator (see 'How do I contact an administrator?') and provide him or her with information about your site (title, url, description, tags, and detailed bio) and we will review your site and determine whether or not to add it to the list of affiliates. In return, we ask that you add us to your affiliate list if you have one, or make a news post on your main page about Valhalla.
How do I search for a specific user?
On the members page, you can click on the alphabet letters at the bottom to narrow the search, and you can also enter all or part of a username in the URL bar after the "name=" part. You can use * as a wildcard, and note that the search string automatically assumes a wildcard at the end. The pound sign (#) by itself represents all non-alphabetic characters, but if you include other characters along with it then it will be treated as just a normal # sign.
What do I need to know about the message board?
Other Important Information
- Do not post challenge answers on the message board.
- Be nice and courteous. No flaming.
- Don't spam with excessive posts or attempts to hack the message board.
- Linking to an interesting site (or your own) is okay, but excessive advertising is frowned upon.
- Any messages you submit within 10 seconds of a previous submission will be ignored.
- Messages should be 250 characters or less; anything longer will be truncated.
How do I advertise on Valhalla?
If you are interested in advertising on Valhalla, contact as at email@example.com
and tell us about your site/product/service and we can discuss a contract.
We have possibilities for advertising based on CPM (cost-per-mille, i.e. impressions), and pay-per-click. You can also select an expiration date and set a budget so your ad doesn't become too expensive.
Does Valhalla offer any services?
Yes, the Valhalla team offers web design/development services as well as pen testing and consulting services. If you are interested in any of these, contact us at halls.
. For more information, click here
Why do I still see my email when I hide it?
You are still able to see your own email if it is set to be hidden. It is hidden from all other users except for administrators.
Why can't I update my profile?
You have to enter your current password in order to make any changes to your profile.
The title is just a rank based on your percentage of challenge completions. The titles are based on these percentages:
Note: points are actually meaningless and are just there for fun. They do not indicate the skill-level of a member, only how active they are in solving challenges.
What are the rules about avatars and signatures?
- Avatar URLs must be 150 characters or less including the 'http://' or 'https://'.
- Avatars must be images ending with .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, or .bmp. If your desired image is not one of these formats, open it in an image editor and save it as one of these formats and then upload the image somewhere.
- Avatars are 100px by 100px. If your image is larger it will be scaled.
- Signatures are 600px wide and 200px tall. Anything extending past that will be truncated.
- You may use BBCode in your signature.
- Signatures have a max length of 250 characters. Anything more will be truncated.
- Do not put anything obscene as your avatar or in your signature; if you do, you will be warned and forced to change it, and if it happens again you will be banned.
What are reputation points?
Reputation points are a way of giving recognition to users for their contributions to the site and the community. A user's reputation point total is calculated based on your submissions, votes on content you've submitted, hall of fame entries, and other points awarded. The formula looks like this:
(10 points * number of articles/codes/news submitted) +
HoF points +
(1 point * number of upvotes) +
(-1 point * number of downvotes) +
Other points given by admins for special contributions (such as good forum posts).